10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
⅔ cup powdered sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup heavy cream
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1½ cups superfine sugar
½ cup water
½ tsp coarse sea salt
½ cup heavy cream
5 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
Coarse sea salt, to garnish
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until pale in color, about 10 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, egg and vanilla and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out into a round 9-inch tart pan and press into the bottom and up sides.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Pierce the dough with a fork and bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough is baked through. Set aside.
- Place the cream and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and warm until the butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water over low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, until dark golden and the mixture reaches 340° F on a thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture (be cautious, as it will bubble up).
- Return the saucepan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the sea salt and pour into the pastry shell. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate until set, at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional coarse sea salt before serving.