3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsps granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, plus more for brushing
1 cup cherries, remove pits and slice in half
2 tbsps sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture looks like coarse meal. Stir in the buttermilk and then carefully fold in the cherries.
- Scoop dough onto the prepared baking sheets. You should get roughly 16 mounds. Brush the tops of mounds with buttermilk then sprinkle sparkling sugar on top.
- Bake the scones in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for 30-35 minutes. Shift the pans from front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. Let the scones cool for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE GLAZE
- Whisk together sugar, milk, and almond extract until you get a thick enough glaze but still runny enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle over each cooled scone then top with sliced almonds and serve.