our Prosecco Superiore
Pumpkin and Sage Orzotto
For the vegetable broth:
- 3 ¾ cups water
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
For the orzotto:
- 1 small pumpkin, diced
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 1 ½ cups primo sale or aged pecorino
- 2 minced shallots, divided
- ½ cup barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- To create the broth, add the water, celery, carrots, and salt to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Scatter ⅓ of the diced pumpkins onto a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese, breadcrumbs, and aromatic herbs to an oven-safe bowl. Bake for 5 minutes.
- While the breadcrumb mixture roasts, sauté one shallot with thyme, and sage in a saucepan over medium heat. When sizzling, add the rest of the pumpkin and cook until tender. Remove from heat and add to a blender. Pureé.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the other shallot and barley over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and pumpkin purée. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the breaded cheese and roasted pumpkin.